Friday, October 1, 2010

Environment Minister Earl Deveaux's "free ride" on the Aga Khan's helicopter does not warrant dismissal - says Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham

PM: HELICOPTER RIDE NOT WORTH DISMISSAL
By PAUL G TURNQUEST
Tribune Staff Reporter
pturnquest@tribunemedia.net:


EXPLAINING for the first time his reasons for not accepting the resignation of his Minister of the Environment Earl Deveaux, Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham said yesterday the controversy surrounding his minister's "free ride" on the Aga Khan's helicopter does not raise to the level of calling for his dismissal.

Acknowledging that persons could argue whether or not it was the right decision to make under the circumstances, Mr Ingraham still stressed that Mr Deveaux "did nothing" deserving of resignation.

"What I find very fascinating about this whole question about Earl Deveaux and resignation is the Opposition hasn't raised it in the House (of Assembly at all. At all. But I wonder why," he laughed.

"There was no basis upon which Earl Deveaux ought to resign. He's done nothing deserving of resignation.

"Whether or not he should have taken a flight to Abaco, judgmental, but it doesn't rise to the level of dismissal and Bell Island is a place that doesn't have regular flights.

" I've been there twice, I went there once on the Defence Force boat and once I went there on the Aga Khan's helicopter, and I went there to have lunch with the King of Spain and took my grandchildren to meet with the Aga Khan's grandchildren.

"And then I asked while I was there, 'Listen I can't come this far without stopping in Black Point to hail the residents there'. So we landed there and I went there and shook some hands in Black Point and came back to Nassau. Since that time, just yesterday, somebody told me, an official, he had to go to Cat Island on a developer's aircraft to check something and on the flight with him was the member of Parliament, the deputy leader of the PLP (Philip Davis) on the same private aircraft," Mr Ingraham said.

However Fred Mitchell, the Opposition's MP for Fox Hill, said the Prime Minister's comments only reinforce the notion that it was OK for Earl Deveaux to accept the Aga Khan's ride, because the Prime Minister himself had done the same thing.

September 30, 2010

tribune242