Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Whitney Bastian - former South Andros MP predicts the newly formed Democratic National Alliance (DNA) party will become the next government of The Bahamas

Bastian Predicts Sweeping DNA Election Victory

By Macushla N. Pinder
jonesbahamas


Former parliamentarian Whitney Bastian may not have a crystal ball, but he is convinced he knows exactly how the next general election will play out.

The former South Andros MP predicts the newly formed Democratic National Alliance (DNA) party will become the next government of The Bahamas.

"The way things are going right now, I see the DNA winning at least 25 seats. It might be more than that. People say it is a wave moving. It is a not a wave; it is a tsunami," he said during a recent interview with the Bahama Journal.

"Everywhere you go, Bahamians, young and old, are trying to get something to identify with the DNA. I’ll even go to the extent to say take the green shirt off you. So, based on what I’ve seen over the last few weeks, this campaign will be one of the easiest campaigns I would have ever been involved in because this is a people’s movement. This is a different time from when those other guys formed their party."

According to Mr. Bastian, Bahamians are fed up with the governing Free National Movement (FNM) and the Progressive Liberal Party (PLP).

He claimed both political giants are only looking out for the chosen few in society.

"During our launch, we showed them that we can pull the crowds. And so, we are now number one. They (the FNM and PLP) are fighting for number two and three spots. We will win the next election and hence form the next government," he said.

"Over the next two to three months, my prediction will become clearer and clearer…People want change."

The DNA, which is the brainchild of former cabinet minister Branville McCartney, was officially launched earlier this month. Mr. McCartney claims that his party is the alternative to the two major political parties and not an alternative.

The party says it intends to run a full slate of candidates.

It has already unveiled its first 10 candidates, including Mr. McCartney, who hopes to retain his seat as the Member of Parliament for the Bamboo Town constituency.

Mr. Bastian said it is "just a matter of formality" before he is confirmed as the party’s candidate for South Andros, a constituency he represented from 2002 to 2007.

He lost the seat during the last election to PLP MP Picewell Forbes.

"It really doesn’t matter which tag I put on – DNA or a cat tag. They are prepared to support Whitney Bastian," he said.

"My love for Andros transcends any party name or affiliation because I was doing [a lot] before I got involved in frontline politics and I will continue to do for Andros and The Bahamas as a whole after frontline politics."

Mr. Bastian says he is confident that once given the DNA’s nomination, he would win his seat by an even larger margin than he did in 2002.

"I have been assured by the people that they will do this. While they try to tell me that they made a mistake, I said ‘no, you did exactly what you wanted to do at the time.’ And so, for the last four years, the people have been coming to me. I am confident they are not telling me any lies," he said.

"They have been coming to me, telling me, ‘Whitney, we are sorry for what we have done. We are now able to compare and contrast your representation with the present representation that we have….’ People have the confidence that I will be looking after their interest and I do have their interest at heart…"

There has been no word on when the next general election will take place.

But many Bahamians are viewing the decision to end the current voter register on July 14 as a surefire sign that it will not be long.

May 30th, 2011

jonesbahamas