Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Opposition Progressive Liberal Party (PLP) Deputy Leader Philip ‘Brave’ Davis says the Prime Minister is “Dividing” The Bahamas

By ROGAN SMITH:


Progressive Liberal Party (PLP) Deputy Leader Philip ‘Brave’ Davis says at a time when Bahamians should be united the prime minister is doing all in his power to divide The Bahamas.

During the PLP’s rally on Elizabeth Estates Park last night Mr. Davis said the country is in the midst of a serious economic crisis, its social fiber is under attack and its neighbour to the south – Haiti – has suffered a devastating earthquake.

"Brothers and sisters are in mourning. This country is headed in the wrong direction. We have serious issues with regards to our national security and all [Hubert] Ingraham has on his mind is dividing the people of this country," he said.

"[Mr.] Ingraham wants to take the focus off of his failures. He wants us to forget the thousands without jobs, without electricity and some with nothing to eat tonight. He wants you to forget your friends and family suffering tonight with no hope and no health insurance."

Mr. Davis said the Free National Movement (FNM) Government is running the country into the ground and remains clueless on how to deal with most of the country’s social ills.

He said The Bahamas needs PLP candidate Ryan Pinder – a noted tax attorney – in the government.

The Opposition was in the Elizabeth constituency last night drumming up support for Mr. Pinder in advance of next month’s by-election.

Mr. Davis urged Elizabeth constituents to send a message to the government that "enough is enough" and that they are tired with the government’s ineptitude.

Meantime, Mr. Pinder, who will go head-to-head with FNM candidate, Dr. Duane Sands, Bahamas Democratic Movement (BDM) Leader Cassius Stuart, attorney and United Christian Love Revolution Movement (UCLRM) member, Godfrey Pro Pinder and Workers Party Leader Rodney Moncur, suggested that he is not concerned about the competition.

"Some say they’ve got steady hands. Others want to take you in a new direction, but they don’t know where they’re going. Another says he wants to start a love movement. Well I need them all to know that last Tuesday night the PLP gave me the go ahead to continue a love affair with Elizabeth, and I know where we’re going, and together, we’re [going to] go all the way," he said.

"I want to submit tonight that Elizabeth has a clear choice in this by-election. The clear choice is to keep Elizabeth free and return a PLP candidate to the House of Assembly who will resist darkness and all its forms, avoid political temptation and be true and honest to his pledge to the people of Elizabeth."

He also urged constituents not to punish him for former Elizabeth MP Malcolm Adderley’s failures.

"The reception I have been getting on the ground as I move from house to house has been encouraging. As the PLP candidate, moving forward, I just want to appeal to you to please don’t beat me, or the party with Malcolm’s stick. The Progressive Liberal Party and Ryan Pinder are committed to you, and I am anxious to fill that vacant seat on your behalf so that you can have the kind of MP you need," he said.

"I spent my childhood with my dad (former Malcolm Creek MP Marvin Pinder) in Malcolm Creek, now Elizabeth. My parents serve as godparents to many in this constituency. Elizabeth is very much a part of my family. I know these streets. I know these houses. I know the concerns. I know the pains. I know the needs. I have been walking these avenues from when my father began his walk of faith with you almost 25 years ago."

Mr. Pinder said he is committed to small business development and the creation of a skills bank in the constituency.

January 20th, 2010

jonesbahamas