Thursday, March 4, 2010

Branville McCartney: 'I want to run for FNM in Bamboo Town at next election'

By PAUL G TURNQUEST
Tribune Staff Reporter
pturnquest@tribunemedia.net:



IN LIGHT of his resignation from the Cabinet, Former Minister of State for Immigration Branville McCartney said he hoped he would not be denied a nomination to run as an FNM in the Bamboo Town constituency whenever the next general election is called.

Speaking to The Tribune at his constituency office yesterday, the popular MP said he was hopeful Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham would not seek to "punish" him as he has not yet even made up his mind if he will in fact run again for the House of Assembly.

"I had five years to serve. Right now I have two more years. If I don't get a nomination from the party I doubt I will run as an Independent -- or anything else for that matter. I would have done my time, and I would have done my time well. I guarantee you that. I would have done my time well and I will move on," he said.

As he is widely considered to be one of the few Members of Parliament who can claim to have a "sure seat" due to his representation and work in the area, it is often said that Mr McCartney does not need the FNM backing to win his seat in Bamboo Town.

However, despite this, the MP maintains that he came into Bamboo Town as and FNM and he will leave Bamboo Town as an FNM.

Having resigned from his Cabinet post over the weekend, Mr McCartney said that he will now focus his time on his family and the constituency of Bamboo Town, giving both the "representation and support they need and deserve at this time."

"My strengths will be invested in making them stronger. My energy and ambition will hopefully lead to greater opportunities for them. There have indeed been some very thrilling high points along the way, one of which I am very proud to share with you today. My wife Lisa, my daughters Kasia and Tai and I have welcomed a new member to our family, Lawrence Khail McCartney.

"The birth of each of our children has provided us unbounded joy and emotion and a welcome reminder that life is more about the moments than the occasions, and success in life depends on how well you are able to determine and manage the order of your priorities -- by the acceleration of some, the abeyance of others and the acceptance that in life nothing comes before its time," he said.

March 03, 2010

tribune242