Thursday, April 22, 2010

Branville McCartney: I wouldn't want to be a Cabinet minister anymore

By JASMIN BONIMY ~ Guardian Staff Reporter ~ jasmin@nasguard.com:



Former Minister of State for Immigration Branville McCartney said yesterday he would not be seeking another Cabinet post even if the Free National Movement wins the next general election.

McCartney resigned from Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham's Cabinet on February 28. The Bamboo Town member of Parliament said he has no regrets about leaving the post.

"From the political point of view I would like to see the FNM win the next elections," McCartney said. "They have done a tremendous job and their work is not finished. I wouldn't want to be a Cabinet minister anymore but of course I would be there to assist in any way I can to help the party to win the next election."

McCartney added that giving up his time-consuming post has allowed him to concentrate on other areas of his life.

"It's been going good," he said. "I've been spending a lot of time in Bamboo Town and as you can see there are numerous things going on in Bamboo Town. I've had a lot of time to spend with my family, fishing, and traveling. So it's been good."

Sources close to McCartney said he had been planning to resign since January, but stayed on because he didn't want to hurt the FNM's chances in the Elizabeth by-election in February. The party's candidate Dr. Duane Sands lost by three votes to the Progressive Liberal Party's Ryan Pinder.

Shortly after he announced he was stepping down, McCartney told The Nassau Guardian that despite his resignation he remained committed to the FNM and would continue to be loyal to the leadership of Prime Minister Ingraham.

Now weeks after he resigned, he said there has been no backlash from the decision as he continues to share a cordial relationship with his FNM peers.

"You have a right to resign," he said. "It may have been a shock to some persons but for me it was well thought out. I haven't received any tension from any of my former Cabinet ministers, the prime minister or any officer of the party. It's been very cordial."

McCartney reiterated that he believes the FNM is the party best suited to govern the country through tough economic times

And while McCartney would not say if he was eyeing the FNM's top post, The Guardian understands that he has been considered by some people as a front-runner for the leadership of the FNM in the future.

"I want to continue to serve the country to my best at a position where I can speak from my heart and speak to what I think is best, good and right," McCartney said. "So I'm at a good place right now. So whatever comes we will see."

April 22, 2010

thenassauguardian