Friday, July 23, 2010

How Is Your Member of Parliament Performing: Earl Deveaux - Marathon MP Gets Mixed Reviews

Is Your MP Performing "Marathon MP Gets Mixed Reviews"
BY KENDENO N. P. KNOWLES:


A Free National Movement (FNM) MP is receiving mixed reviews from some of his constituents. While some praised him for his work in the constituency, others who are not so happy, say he needs to do a lot more.

The Bahama Journal canvassed the Marathon constituency yesterday to get feedback from constituents on Dr. Earl Deveaux’s performance.

The first set of people to weigh in on Dr. Deveaux’s performance, said they were not at all pleased with the MP’s efforts.

While they did not have many complaints, the general consensus among residents was that Dr. Deveaux has not been very visible in the area.

They also claimed that there had been little to no improvement in the constituency.

"There have not been any major improvements in this area. I have not even met the MP for this area since I’ve been living here," said Alpheus Bevans, who has lived in the constituency for three years.

Carolmae Pratt echoed similar sentiments. In fact, she didn’t mince words when assessing her MP’s performance.

"I haven’t seen him in this constituency and it has almost been three years since the last election. I only see him on TV. I am waiting until the next election campaign for him and his team to come to my door step. When they come to my house I will tell them that I don’t want to have anything to do with them," Ms. Pratt said.

"When Ron Pinder was the MP for this area, I saw him with my own eyes on the garbage truck helping to collect garbage and to beautify the area."

Another resident who spoke with the Bahama Journal on the condition of anonymity said she is disheartened by the fact that the MP who promised so much to the constituency "failed to deliver."

She said she is a Progressive Liberal Party (PLP) supporter, but voted for Mr. Deveaux in the last election.

She said she now questions whether she made the right decision.

"I believe in giving everyone a chance and that is just what I did with Dr. Deveaux. He has put some pavements in place but that’s all I have seen happening here. Additionally, I don’t even know him that well because he doesn’t even come around to the constituency. I think he needs to come out of the House of Assembly and speak with his constituents," she said.

But, while those constituents were not too happy with Dr. Deveaux’s performance, there were a whole lot more constituents who were more than pleased with his work.

In fact, other residents credited the MP for a beautification programme that has been in place for some time now.

The Journal later visited the Regency Park and Danottage Estates area, which is separated by a few blocks.

Residents there credited Dr. Deveaux for improved roadworks, sidewalks, new water pipelines and a host of other upgrades.

"He repaved the roads, put down new water lines and some other things he’s done are commendable. I think he is doing what is necessary," said Charles Fisher, a Regency Park resident.

"I have been living here for about 11 years now and I think he is best one I have seen for a long time. He makes sure that the streets are cleaned almost every day. The streets were actually just cleaned on Wednesday morning," Jesus Uriz said in support of Dr. Deveaux’s work.

Lloyd Dorsett, a resident of Danottage Estates, said he hopes to see more of Dr. Deveaux. However, he said the MP’s work in the constituency speaks for itself.

"I haven’t seen him for a while, but he seems to be having things in order around here. Everything has been kept tidy and that speaks to Dr. Deveaux’s work in the area," he said.

"I haven’t seen him regularly, but he’s been working. He came around and tried to get the place cleaned up and I think that’s commendable," said Cleveland Knowles.

"He has performed admirably over the last three years and I will definitely support him in the next general election."

And while the country’s next general election is just two years away, those that didn’t think the MP was performing admirably said they would wait to see what the MP will do in that time.

The constituents who said they were pleased with the way Dr. Deveaux has kept the area say they will be sure to re-elect him in 2012.

July 22nd, 2010

jonesbahamas