Sunday, September 19, 2010

Is Your MP Performing: Garden Hills Residents Split on the Performance of Free National Movement (FNM) Member of Parliament - Brensil Rolle

Is Your MP Performing: Garden Hills Residents Split
By IANTHIA SMITH




Supporters and critics of Free National Movement (FNM) Member of Parliament for Garden Hills Brensil Rolle seem to be split on the issue as to whether or not the representative is performing in the area.

The Bahama Journal interviewed 10 Garden Hills residents Wednesday morning to find out how they feel about their MP.

Six out of those 10 constituents said they are not happy with Mr. Rolle’s performance while the remaining four said they were satisfied with what they have been seeing.

"Well he can come around more often and be more visible," one female resident who spoke on condition of anonymity said. "He needs to come around and try to help as much as he can. Right now in my house only my daughter is working, I’m not working, my son doesn’t have a job and things are tough."

Another male resident agrees.

He said over the years Mr. Rolle has quickly lost the momentum he initially exhibited in the constituency.

"When he first came in power, he seemed to be doing the job," he said. "But now, as you can see, there’s all kind of bush around here that no one would come to cut it down and because there’s all that bush there a lot of robberies that happen around here."

"And the thing is, Mr. Rolle lives right around the corner, it’s not like he’s a stranger. We would go around to him and let him know what’s going on, but still nothing is happening."

But there were several supporters who begged to differ with the negative feedback.

"Everybody has their own feelings," Buster Bethel said. "He doesn’t come around here to see me and he doesn’t come to see my wife, but I don’t care to see him, as long as he’s doing his job."

"He calls constituency meetings every month and those who are interested go to the meetings. Some people are looking for him to go directly to their house. I don’t care to see him, I don’t even care to see him during election time as long as he does his job and I think he is doing what he is supposed to do."

"To me, he’s done more than anyone else who represented this constituency. I feel good about him and I would definitely vote for him again," another woman added.

"So would I," her female family member chimed in.

The Garden Hills constituency is split into three sections; Garden Hills #1, #2, #3.

While some of the constituents did not want to go on record with their comments, many of them said they like the fact that their MP hosts numerous community events like ‘back to school’ and Christmas giveaways.

But for other residents, annual community fun days are simply not enough as they said issues with crime, the economy and unemployment continuously knock at their door.

"We haven’t had a park in this area for so long, actually as long as I have been living here, and that’s about 30 years now," said a male resident who did not want his name printed. "There’s nothing for the kids to do and there’s no spirit in Garden Hills."

"People in the area are hurting; there are no jobs, crime is high in this area and the residents here have a lot of concerns."

"I want to see the area cleaned up, the garbage removed and I want there to be something for the kids to do," a female resident said. "There’s so much to do in this area, so many people need help. While I understand he can’t make everyone’s wishes come true, he can listen to the cries, hear what people have to say."

"If he doesn’t want to come around what can I do," Elaine Scavella asked. "I can’t do anything, but I know one thing, I won’t vote for him or anyone else again."

"He’s doing the best he can and even if that means just putting on an event for us, then that’s good enough," another female resident added. "It isn’t all about finding jobs for people or even giving them things."

Derek Rolle, another Garden Hills resident admitted that he has never voted and does not plan to.

Mr. Rolle said as far as he sees things there are not many politicians who are true leaders in the country.

Although he admits that the MP for his area has his faults, he said he believes he is doing an average job.

September 16th, 2010

jonesbahamas