Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham says that he intends to once again lead his party - the Free National Movement (FNM) into the next general election...

PM to run again
By CANDIA DAMES
Guardian News Editor
candia@nasguard.com


Says FNM needs more time to complete agenda

Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham revealed yesterday that he intends to once again lead his party into the next general election because the unforseen economic downturn would likely mean an unfinished agenda.

Ingraham made the bombshell announcement at a meet the press event held at the British Colonial Hilton in downtown Nassau.

He is expected to once again go head to head with Progressive Liberal Party Leader Perry Christie, who has said repeatedly that he is preparing the PLP to form the next government of The Bahamas.

Asked whether he intends to stay on as FNM leader and lead the party into the next general election, Ingraham said emphatically, “Yes.”

It triggered thunderous applause from the audience gathered at the event.

Ingraham was also asked why he has decided to seek re-election in what would be a fourth non-consecutive term should he win.

He responded: “Because I think, firstly, the party would like me to carry on. Secondly, there are a number of things that we had hoped to undertake in this our term in office that we have been unable to do largely because of the economic circumstance and conditions.

“Thirdly, it would not be appropriate I think under these circumstances for me with all this headwind, with all the experience I have... to go.

“So I consider it my duty to The Bahamas and to my party to carry out.”

Christie has already indicated that should he become prime minister again he would not serve a full term. But Ingraham said yesterday, “I make no such commitment.”

He added, “I’m not in a position where I’m going to do a deal because others are at my heel and I have to tell them ‘listen, there’s little space here for you’. When it’s time for me to be able to go I’m going to be able to go and the party will select my replacement, but I [don’t] have to make a deal [to say] I’m going to be here for a year or two years.

“No. Others have to do that.”

Yesterday Ingraham brushed off a suggestion that he and Christie are very close.

After saying that they are not, he added, “I saw Mr. Christie at a function for [St. Cecilia MP Cynthia ‘Mother’ Pratt] the other day and he wouldn’t look me in the eye.

“I don’t know why you vex with me, Christie. You are my buddy.”

Asked whether he had informed Christie of his intention to run again, Ingraham said, “You think I need permission from him? I said before, you know, that my actions would speak louder than my words and I said at the installation service for Mother Pratt (who is now an assistant pastor) that those of us who are going to be in Parliament after the next election will miss you. Mr. Christie was there.

“I think Mr. Christie understands that I would be the alternative to him or he would be the alternative to me in the next election. I look forward to it.”

Earlier in his political career, Ingraham had indicated that he would not serve more than two terms as prime minister. But when he returned as leader of the Free National Movement in 2005 after stepping down in 2002, he said he was returning to answer the call of the people.

Prior to the 2007 election, then Prime Minister Christie had vowed to “cremate” Ingraham, but failed in his efforts to do so.

Confirmation that Ingraham intends to stay on as FNM leader has huge implications for members of his party with great political ambition.

Yesterday, Ingraham did not directly respond to a question about his health and energy level, saying only that he had suffered a bout of the flu last week.

11/15/2010

thenassauguardian